Monday, February 8, 2010

A note on the blog's main picture

When I first put up the main header picture, showing an American squad in front of a knocked-out panzer holding up a trophy Nazi flag, I had reservations. It was chosen in a hurry, and from a limited image gallery I had available at the time, and I asked myself, was it obvious that these guys were Americans? Was the flag a little too pro-Nazi? Does it really encapsulate all that is WW2 in a single image? Well, not too sure on that last one, but the others were answered by my realization that one particular person in the group... is black. And the Nazi army definitely didn't allow them (with exception that they did conscript manual labor personel from North Africa). I honestly did not notice him until today, which just proves I'm color-blind in this regard. Plus, along with our having a black president, it makes the statement that racial relations have come a long way since the war, which was when the equality movement really got rolling (a whole decade before Martin Luther King) and there will be future posts to highlight those moments of history. I may change the image from time to time, but for now it stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment